SFIA professional skills
SFIA defines the skills and competencies required by professionals who design, develop, implement, manage and protect the data and technology that power the digital world.
The SFIA professional skills are defined to be consistent with the levels of responsibility definitions. The SFIA Framework has many skills to cover the wide breadth of activities that professionals need.
Navigating the SFIA skills
SFIA continues to group the skills into categories and subcategories. These do not have definitions themselves, they are just a navigation aid. Colour coding is also used to identify the categories.
- These categories and subcategories do not equate to jobs, roles, organisational teams or areas of personal responsibility.
- It is common practice for a specific job description, for instance, to comprise skills taken from multiple categories and subcategories.
- The grouping is intended to assist people who are incorporating SFIA skills in role profiles or job descriptions, or who are building an organisation’s competency framework.
Many users find these categories useful, but SFIA is a flexible resource and the SFIA Skills can easily be grouped and filtered into alternative views to support specific industry disciplines, particular environments and frameworks.
SFIA focussed views
SFIA views provide a quick-start list of the SFIA skills which are most relevant to a selection of professional disciplines, industry topics and complementary frameworks.
As well as the SFIA full framework view where SFIA skills are organised by the common categories and sub-categories, several other views are available. These views organise the skills more appropriately for particular environments and provide additional information for SFIA use in those environments. Currently available SFIA views include:
- Information and cyber security
- Big data and data science
- Software engineering
- Enterprise IT
These views are refreshed by SFIA users operating in these areas, and further views are in development, created by industry users and added to the SFIA website when available.